My name is Mike Scheetz. I am 40 years old, live in Portland with my wife, Leshia, and kids– Mikayla, 11, and Luke, 8. I have been working for NES as a cable splicer for 11 years.
About 8 years ago, as an overweight couch potato, I knew I needed to make a change in my life. I started running and soon after signed up for my first 5k, then immediately a half marathon. My daughter, Mikayla, has spina bifida which has taken the use of her legs. We started running together a few years ago, Mikayla using me as her legs. We have ran several half marathons together and one full marathon. I truly love having the ability to be her running legs. After running for a while, a friend talked me into trying out Tri and I was immediately hooked. Having a full time job, 2 busy kids, a wife training for her own races, finding time to train can be a challenge but we make it work. I will be the HEAT president for 2019. I am open to ideas for making this a fantastic year, your input and ideas are welcome.
1. How many years have you been in triathlon?
2. How many years have you been a part of HEAT?
3. How did you get started in triathlon?
I had been running for a few years. Carrie Haapalo talked me into giving tri a shot. Bought a cheap, used tri bike off Craigslist, and have been hooked since.
4. What is your favorite discipline?
5. What distances have you competed in?
6. What has been your favorite race?
7. What is your go-to nutritional product for training/racing?