My journey in triathlon started with the 2009 Old Hickory Lake triathlon on an old steel mountain bike. I was instantly hooked. The next year I discovered and joined HEAT as well as upgraded that old bike. Since then I’ve done 2 full Ironmans (Louisville and Chattanooga) and several 70.3s.
I am a software architect for a healthcare information technology company. My wife Heidi and I live here in Hendersonville with our Vizsla Layla. Layla is a big hit on our Tri-Cations and I’m jealous of her speed and endurance.
- How many years have you been in triathlon? 9
- How many years have you been apart of HEAT? 8
- How did you get started in triathlon? On a whim I signed up for the 2009 Old Hickory Lake triathlon. I did it on an old steel Trek mountain bike. Even though I nearly drowned and finished near the bottom of my age group I was hooked.
- What is your favorite discipline? Bike
- What distances have you competed in?
- What has been your favorite race? Ironman Louisville – My first full Ironman and what a fantastic finish line.
- What is your go-to nutritional product for training/racing? I usually train with whatever my A-race provides and live off the course.
- What serves as your motivation to keep going when the training or the race seems too hard? Besides the post race beer and pizza, I just remember how lucky we are to be doing this.
- What does your normal training week look like? During tri season I’ll train about 10-12 hours a week. Generally 4-5 rides, 3-4 runs with a few swims thrown in.
- What is your first thought after finishing a triathlon? I’m glad that’s over…where do I sign up for next years race